Friday, December 14, 2018

RECIPE How to make crispy french fries at home


Last night hubby asked me if we still have fries in the freezer, and I told him "it's all gone" so today I surprised him with his favorite (well one of his favorite lol) BBQ ribs sandwich (made my own sauce) and his favorite homemade fries.

Today, I am going to tell you my secret of making this crispy french fries from home (and yes they are great freezing too).

What you need for this much serving (photo above):
  • 1 medium size russet potatoes 
  • 1 cup of oil
  • 2 cups of cold water

Procedure:
  • washed your potatoes (peel or not, it's up to you), cut it however you want. washed/rinsed it until the water runs clear (I usually put it in the cup and see if the water is clear then I know the starch is all gone)
  • place potatoes in a cup with cold water and leave it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
  • after you have your potatoes rested, place oil in the pan and set it between  medium and high heat (depends on your stove).
  • while waiting for your oil to heat, pat dry your potatoes
  • to know if your oil is ready you can toss a small piece of potatoes and if it sizzles then it is ready (or you can put the end of your wooden spoon and see if it sizzles)
  • fry it until edges turns a LITTLE brown (about to get brown) then set aside for at least a minute or two
  • fry it again until you reach the doneness you wanted
  • sprinkle with salt, cheese or whatever you want to top it :)
The procedure might sound/look daunting BUT believe me it is NOT and it gets so much more easier over time. The taste is so much better than the frozen one and you will not want to buy them after you try this.

Hubby always tell me that my fries is far better than the one he gets from the high end restaurant he gets the chance to dine with in the past BUT I will never know lol. All I know is that, this is truly a good simple recipe and I make them all the time even if we our out camping. 

Note: 
  • If out camping and I don't have a fridge to put it to rest. I just add some ice on the cup or sit it in the water for at least 15 minutes and fry away.
  • This freezes well, all you have to do is fry it for first time and let it rest. Place it separately in wax paper or tissue paper and freeze then place on a ziploc bag or container. You can either fry it or just place it in the oven under pizza setting for 10 minutes and then change it to "toast" and you will have the same crunchy fries. 
Would love to know if you have made this and your thoughts or if you have any questions.

Thanks for being here!

Have a lovely weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment