Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Day 3: The quest! How to convert My Big RV Into a Plug-In Hybrid?




Day 3: The quest! How to convert My Big RV Into a Plug-In Hybrid?

This is the big question we have in mind, the goal is to get a RV and convert it to all electric or at least 80% electric if possible. After reading a few blog post about how much it cost to travel with RV (a few says it cost them at least $12,000/year gas alone that's $1,000 each month just for gas) it makes me want to make sure we are capable of lowering the cost of it by turning them to electric or some other ways that we don't have to rely on gas.

As I am doing my research, I saw this company named Netgain Motors, Inc
this is what is written on their About Page:

"NetGain Motors, Inc. is the exclusive worldwide distributor of WarP™, ImPulse™, and TransWarP™ electric motors for use in electric vehicles and electric vehicle conversions. These powerful electric motors may also be used in the conversion of conventional internal combustion engine vehicles to hybrid gas/electric or electric assist vehicles. Our motors are manufactured in Frankfort, Illinois by Warfield Electric Motor Company"

Having read that, the cost of it range from $7,000-$9,000 then you have to add solar panels, batteries, wires & some other stuff so you kinda looking from $15,000-$20,000 cost. Yikes, that is more than the cost of the RV I am looking at from Facebook marketplace, Craigslist and RVTrader site. I told hubby that we will not spend more than $20,000 on RV. 

With that saying is $40K worth it? Part of me is saying YES OF COURSE! I dont want to spend $12,000/yr on gas (& the way I want to travel that can easily double) so I think it is worth it. 

Another option I look at is a RV already converted like EarthRoamer but the used version of it is a whopping $210,000 that is more than our house & I am not willing to be in a huge debt again. The point of us living in RV is to save & be able to live our life to the fullest so that is definitely NOT an option. The EarthRoamers are very cool though and I sure wish I can afford them. 

Now, If Tesla Motors will make an affordable Van/RV or something (conversion parts, cheaper batteries, etc.)  that us dreamers can afford then it will be so awesome. 

For now I think I will keep researching and keep the quest on finding the best option for us. Hopefully by the time we are ready to make our dream come true there is THE ONE that will make it happen without breaking our bank.

If you know something I would love to hear about it. And If I found a new info I will update this quest.

Thanks for being here!

Remember Life Is Short... Explore. Dream. Discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment